Callum Hann’s Apple Tarte Tatin with Miso Caramel
Callum Hann Sprout recipe as created for the 2022 South Australian Apple Season
⅔ cup caster sugar
½ cup water
1 tablespoon white miso paste
50g unsalted butter
3 Granny Smith apples, cored and quartered
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
½ cup coconut yoghurt
2 tablespoons roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 200°C (fan-forced).
- Place sugar and water in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until light golden. Add miso and butter and cook for a further 1-2 minutes until slightly darker in colour. Lay the apple quarters in the caramel and remove from heat.
- Cover the top of the apples with the puff pastry and tuck in over-hanging dough. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until pastry is golden and crisp.
- Carefully place a plate over the top of the pan and flip the pan over so that the fruit is now on top of the tart. Remove the pan gently as the fruit juices will be very hot.
- Cut tarte tatin into wedges and serve with a dollop of coconut yoghurt and sprinkle of roasted peanuts.