Chicken Ratatoullie with Rocket Pesto
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 1 small eggplant (aubergine), diced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 zucchini (courgettes), diced
- 1 red capsicum (pepper), diced
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 800g (1lb 12 oz) tinned tomatoes
- 2 X 250g (9oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2cm (3/4 inch) dice
- 80 g (2 ¾ oz) feta cheese, to serve (optional)
- Crusty bread, toasted, to serve
- 3 handfuls basil; leaves picked
- 1 large handful rocket (arugula)
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons pinenuts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan or stockpot over high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring for 30 seconds or until translucent.
Add the eggplant and cook for 3-4 minutes until it starts to soften, then add the garlic, zucchini and red capsicum. Stir in the fennel seeds leave to toast for a moment, then add the tomatoes. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the ratatouille thickens and the tomatoe sauce darkens in colour slightly. Add the chicken and cook for a further 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until just cooked.
Meanwhile, combine half the basil, the rocket, lemon juice, lemon zest and pine nuts in a food processor and blitz until finely chopped. Stir in the olive oil.
Divide the ratatouille between bowls. Add a spoonful of rocket pesto to each of four bowls and crumble over the feta. Serve with a slice of toasted crusty bread.