Mushroom, eggplant and turkey orecchiette.
- 400gm sliced white medium Vitamin D Mushrooms
- 1x 500gm pkt orecchiette pasta
- 2 500gm turkey mince
- 2 tbsp olive oil (for eggplant)
- 1 large eggplant ends trimmed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp fennel seends
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and diced
- 2 x 400gm cans diced tomatoes
- 1 x 700gm tomato passata
- Chopped handful of each, fresh continental parsley & basil
- 50grams grana padana cheese (or good quality parmesan)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Cook the orecchiette in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente. Strain, drizzle with a dose of olive oil and set aside.
Cut the eggplant into quarter’s lengthwise, sprinkle with salt, a little olive oil and let stand for 5 minutes.
Heat pan add 2 tbsp olive oil and brown all sides of eggplant, remove and set aside. Once cooled cut into 2cm thick slices.
Heat large pan add 3 tbsp olive oil and turn to low heat add onion, garlic, fennel seeds and saute for 5 mins until softened.
Add mushrooms and turkey mince cook for approx. 5 mins on high heat to release moisture, break up with wooden spoon and cook until browned.
Add tomatoes, passata, season with salt and pepper, simmer on low heat for approx. 30 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
Fold cooked eggplant through sauce add cooked pasta to pan with basil and parsley leaving some to garnish and stir through.
Garnish with fresh basil and parsley and top with grated cheese.
3 Vitamin D Mushrooms are equivalent to 10grams of Vitamin D, your daily intake.
Find out more about Vitamin D Mushrooms here.