Hi-Tech Fresh Farm Visit
The team at Pick A Local, Pick SA! recently joined Hi-Tech Fresh for a tour of their Virginia farm. In operation for more than 40 years, the farm grows a variety of lettuce and has also expanded into Asian varieties like bok choy. While the farm began with only five acres, the business has grown and expanded to now be more than 650 acres! The best part about this business? They’re 100% hydroponic which is 100% sustainable!
Dominic, the production manager, proudly showed the variety of lettuce being grown and explained the process behind creating such tasty produce.
“The key is to be as hygienic as possible and ensure the system is completely cleaned after each production. As the system is all connected, any intrusion of bacteria could wipe out the entire farm!” Dominic said.
The hydroponic form of growing is not only ethical and sustainable, but also economical. With such great success within hydroponic production, Hi-Tech Fresh have invested in diversifying their business and also own other brands; Hi-Fresh and Farmers Choice. These brands include a range of premade salads, production on these began in 2001 and include other veggies like carrots and cherry tomatoes, all grown within 2kms of the farm (gotta keep it local!).
Hi-Tech Fresh products are available across South Australia in all independent retailers so keep your eye out for them in your local fruit & veg shop. Find your local here!
- Christine Scalzi crowned 2023 SA Cherry Queen
- Pick a Local, Pick SA! 2023 Television Commercial
- South Australia Launches 2023 Citrus Season
- South Australia’s Top Ten Fruit and Veg Stores Announced
- Meet Nicol Carrots
- Do you know your chillies?
- Callum’s Favourite Uses For Oranges
- Fruit and Veg Retailers Staying Open And Delivering Healthy Options to South Australians
- Anthony Romeo Crowned 2021 Cherry King as auction raises $50,000 for Camp Quality
- Lowana Fruits