Beetroot and Goat’s Cheese Risotto with Fennel and Orange Salad
Exclusive recipe by Pick A Local Pick SA brand ambassador – Callum Hann
- 4 beetroot
- 40g (1 1/2 oz or ¼ cup) pine nuts
- 1 litre (35 fl oz or 4 cups) salt-reduced chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 handfuls basil, leaves picked, stems finely chopped
- 220g (7 3/4 oz or 1 cup) arborio rice
- 80ml (2 ½ fl oz or 1/3 cup) dry white wine
- 60g (2 ¼ oz) goat’s cheese, crumbled.
Fennel and Orange Salad
- 1 small fennel bulb
- 2 oranges
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 1 tablespoon olive oilhttp://pickalocalpicksa.com.au/recipe/beetroot-and-goats-cheese-risotto-with-fennel-and-orange-salas/?preview=true
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (400 degrees F/ Gas 6). Individually wrap the beetroot in foil, place on a tray and roast for 1 hour or until tender when pierced with a knife. Add the pine nuts to the tray for the final 5 minutes of cooking, to toast. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. Put the stock in a saucepan and bring almost to the boil, then remove from heat.
Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion, garlic and basil stems and cook gently, stirring occasionally, for 1-2 minutes until the onion is translucent. Add the rice, increase the heat to high, then add the wine. Once the wine bubbles away add the stock, a splash at a time, waiting for each addition of stock to be absorbed before adding the next. This process will take about 16-18 minutes. Stir occasionally. If you run out of stock and the rice needs a little more cooking, then add a little hot water. Meanwhile, put on some disposable gloves and peel the beetroot-the skin should slip off. Dice the beetroot and reserve.
To make the orange salad, thinly slice the fennel, segment (or peel and slice) the oranges and combine in a bowl. Dress with the apple cider vinegar and olive oil and set aside to serve. Stir the beetroot into the rice to stain the rice pink. Transfer the risotto into four serving bowls, top with the goat’s cheese, toasted pine nuts and the bail leaves, and serve with the fennel and orange salad.