Callum Hann’s Labna with Roasted Strawberry Puree, Honeycomb & Thyme
Callum Hann Sprout recipe as created for the 2022 South Australian Strawberry Season
INGREDIENTS: (serves 4)
500g Greek yoghurt
2 tablespoons honey, plus 1 tablespoon extra
500g strawberries, hulled and halved
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 thyme sprigs, leaves picked
For the honeycomb:
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon butter
- ½ teaspoon bicarb soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt flakes
- Place yoghurt inside a clean, damp chux cloth and secure tightly with a rubber band. Sit inside a sieve, positioned above a large bowl. Leave overnight in the fridge, or weigh down with a heavy can for 2-3 hours. Once a thick consistency is achieved, stir through two tablespoons honey.
- To make the honeycomb, line a baking tray with baking paper. Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add a teaspoon of sugar and cook until it starts to melt. Add another teaspoon and repeat process, stirring occasionally until a caramel forms. Whisk in butter until melted, then carefully whisk in bicarb soda. Pour onto tray, sprinkle with salt flakes and allow to cool before snapping into pieces. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat a BBQ over high heat. Combine three quarters of the strawberries with oil and remaining one tablespoon honey in a small oven proof dish. Place onto BBQ, close lid and cook for 5-7 minutes or until softened. Set aside to cool before blitzing in a small food processor until smooth.
- To serve, dollop labna in the middle of four plates and create a well in the centre with the back of a spoon. Spoon strawberry puree into the well, then top with remaining fresh strawberries and blueberries. Garnish