Callum Hann’s Roasted Strawberry Fool with Pepita Brittle
Callum Hann Sprout recipe as created for the launch of the 2021 South Australian Strawberry Season Launch event held at Tony and Mark’s Brickworks Store Wednesday November 10.
- 2 Tablespoons caster sugar
- 6 Black peppercorns
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 Punnets strawberries, tops sliced off and halved
- 1 Cup of thickened cream
- 1 Cup thick Greek yoghurt
- 2 Teaspoons sumac
- Basil leaves, to serve (optional)
- ¼ Cup caster sugar
- 1 Teaspoon butter
- ½ Teaspoon bicarb soda
- 2 Tablespoons pepitas
- To make the brittle, heat a saucepan over high heat and line a tray with baking paper. Add a teaspoon of sugar and cook until starting to melt. Add another teaspoon and repeat process, stirring occasionally until it forms into a caramel. Whisk in butter and once melted whisk in bicarb soda. Pour brittle onto tray, sprinkle with pepitas and allow to cool before snapping into pieces.
- Combine sugar, peppercorns, lemon zest and juice in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, turn down heat and simmer for 1-2 minutes or until sugar has dissolved.
- Preheat oven to 200o Line a tray with baking paper. Place half the strawberries onto the tray and pour over the syrup. Mix briefly to combine. Transfer to the oven and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Check the strawberries after five minutes; if they are starting to colour or burn too much cover them with a piece of alfoil. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Transfer to a small blender and puree until smooth.
- Whip cream to stiff peaks, then whisk through the yoghurt. Fold through strawberry puree. Toss reserved fresh strawberries with sumac. Serve fool topped with shards of pepita brittle, sumac strawberries and basil if using.