Mushroom, Baby Spinach & Chickpea Curry – by Callum Hann
Recipe by Callum Hann
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 Medium sized portabello mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Cups button mushrooms
- 3 Spring onions, finely sliced
- 4 Cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 Red capsicum, finely sliced
- Thumb-sized piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 Bunch coriander, leaves picked, stems finely sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Garam Masala (Indian spice blend)
- 1 Tablespoon mild curry powder
- 400g Can crushed tomatoes or one punnet of cherry tomatoes
- 400g Can chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 270ml Can low fat coconut milk
- 2 Cups baby spinach
- ½ Cup basmati rice, cooked, to serve
- Lime wedges, to serve
- Heat olive oil in a large high-sided frying pan over high heat. Add mushrooms and cook (in batches if necessary) stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until lightly golden. Add spring onions, capsicum, garlic, ginger and coriander stems (reserve leaves for serving) and cook for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Stir in Garam Masala and curry powder, then crushed tomatoes. Simmer for 5-10 minutes or until tomato mixture has thickened and darkened slightly. Stir in chickpeas, coconut milk and baby spinach. Cook until spinach wilts.
- Divide rice between serving bowls, top with curry, coriander leaves and serve with lime wedges.
Callum created this recipe for Sprout Cooking School – check out more recipes at www.sprout.edu.au