Callum’s favourite uses for avocados
Pick A Local Pick SA brand ambassador – Callum Hann’s Favourite uses for avocados
Full of creamy unsaturated fats, avocados are arguably one of the most decadent members of the fresh food family.
Technically speaking, avocadoes should be referred to as a fruit, due to their large seed inside.
However, the majority of avocado recipes come from the savoury section of our repertoire.
Avocados will continue to soften after purchase, so if you are buying more than one from your green grocer, try and get a mixture of firm and softer, riper avo’s.
Use your thumb to gently press the top of the avocado (the skinnier end) and the more the flesh compresses, the riper the product.
Avocados are notorious for discolouring once cut open and exposed to oxygen. Lemon juice or anything acidic can be added to the surface to slow down this process, or wrapping cling film directly onto the surface. However, my preference is to only prepare avocados as required.
Here’s some of my favourite uses for avocados:
- Blanch soba noodles and broccoli and toss with soy sauce, rice vinegar and sesame oil. Place in serving bowls and top each with half a sliced avocado and slices of tuna sashimi.
- Puree avocado with cocoa & maple syrup to taste, and just enough cream or coconut milk to bring to a silky smooth chocolate mousse texture. A surprisingly delicious dessert!
- Avocado adds a delicious silky texture to smoothies. Try banana, honey, milk, yoghurt, baby spinach and avocado for breakfast on the run.
- Rather than the traditional blended or mashed guacamole, try dicing avocado and tossing together with lime juice, chopped spring onions and coriander for a delicious salsa to serve with fish, chicken or anything Mexican.
- PIck a Local Pick SA at the 2019 Royal Adelaide Show
- Ways to use pumpkin…
- Callum’s favourite uses for carrots
- Callum’s Favourite uses for oranges
- Recipe Alert: Tomato and shaved zucchini salad
- Recipe Alert: Roasted eggplant with capsicum hummus, pomegranate & herbs
- Case study – Stramare Produce and CHEP
- Five perfect ways to use pears…
- Four ways to use apples
- Five uses for fresh figs