Northern School Students Receive 300kg Orange Donation
May 14, 2020 | Media Release
The 2020 SA citrus season launched this week with school students in Northern Primary Schools accepting some 300kg of oranges donated by South Australian growers.
The deliveries are part of a four-week campaign to distribute two tonnes of locally grown citrus to school children and sporting clubs – a great immune boost just in time for Winter.
South Australian Produce Market CEO Angelo Demasi said, “South Australian Citrus Growers have generously donated two tonnes of citrus to kickstart the season. Delivering oranges to school children just as they are allowed to return to outdoor sports training is a fitting way to kickstart the season of locally grown produce.”
Market Fresh SA’s Pick a Local, Pick SA! Campaign Manager Penny Reidy said, “We’re so excited about the taste and flavour of the South Australian citrus available. Delivering 300kg of citrus to northern area Primary schools is a great way for families to try the new season fruit.”
“We are confident the whole family will love them and will continue to support South Australian growers and businesses through purchasing citrus throughout the season from their local Pick a Local Pick SA! fruit and veg store.”
The Pick a Local Pick SA! team commenced the deliveries at Pooraka Primary school with Minister Tim Whetstone officially launching the season on Tuesday May 13. A further nine primary schools in the northern area also received a delivery this week, they included:
- Salisbury Primary School
- Ingle Farm East Primary School
- Virginia Primary School
- Para Vista Primary School
- North Ingle School
- Para Hills School P-7
- Para Hills West Primary School
- Paralowie R-12
- Lake Windemere B-7 School
Citrus SA CEO Mark Doecke Said “All citrus fruits are a great source of Vitamin C and all the experts advise that regular intake of Vitamin C helps to keep your immune system strong and assist your body to fight off disease. Buying Lemons, Limes and Oranges this Winter helps our SA kids get back into their sport and also helps our industry – it’s a win-win.”
“A great way for the community to support our SA citrus growers is through the simple act of purchasing a kilogram of oranges when they can this season” said Reidy. “Oranges play a key role in half time energy boosts for kids and mandarins are a great addition to a lunchbox for school or work.”
To find your local independent South Australian owned fruit and veg store stocking South Australian grown produce, visit www.pickalocalpicksa.com.au
Media Contact: Profiler PR: Sarah (Sars) Coligan | e. firstname.lastname@example.org | m. 0404 003 061.
- Pye Group – Potatoes, Carrots and Onions from the Mallee
- Introducing The Major Sponsor Of The ACBA Umpires, Pick a Local, Pick SA!
- Veg In This Winter Campaign Launches – SA Grown Hearty Winter Vegetables in Supply for Home Cooking
- Citrus delivery KickStarts Breakfast for SA Kids in Need
- Citrus season donations for SA School Children come to the Riverland
- Citrus season launches just in time to fuel the kids for winter sports
- Mother’s Day 2020 – Gift Ideas
- Filsell’s Apples Orchard Visit – Adelaide Hills
- Local Independent Fruit and Veg Retailers Delivering Healthy Options to South Australians
- Adelaide Hills Horticultural Industry Funds Available For Post Fire Recovery