Callum Hann’s Cherry Trifle
Callum Hann Sprout recipe as created for the launch of the 2020 Cherry Season Launch event and shown on National morning show Studio Ten using cherries purchased by the 2020 Cherry King Anshu Patel.
For the sponge cake:
- 8 Eggs, separated
- 240g Caster sugar
- 2 Teaspoon vanilla bean extract
- 240g Self-raising flour, sifted
- 50g Desiccated coconut
- ¼ Cup malibu or coconut liqueur (substitute with coconut water or coconut milk)
- 800g cherries, pit half and reserve the rest for garnish
- 2 Tablespoon caster sugar
- 2 Cups thickened cream
- 2 Teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 2 Cups coconut yoghurt
- ⅔ Cup toasted coconut
- ½ Bunch basil, leaves picked
- Preheat oven to 180°C (fan-forced). Grease and line a 2 baking trays.
- To make the sponge cake, whisk egg whites in a large bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, continuing to whisk until stiff peaks form. Gently fold in egg yolks and vanilla, followed by flour and coconut. Transfer mixture to the prepared baking trays. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until light golden and centre springs back when pressed. Allow sponge to cool on trays for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Once cool, cut sponge into 4 rounds using large trifle dish as a guide.
- Meanwhile, whip cream, sugar, and vanilla to stiff peaks. Fold through coconut yoghurt and set aside.
- To serve, layer sponge drizzled with liqueur, coconut yoghurt cream, cherries, in large trifle glass. Top with a final layer of coconut yoghurt cream, whole cherries, basil leave and toasted coconut.