Ways to use pumpkin…
Pick A Local Pick SA brand ambassador – Callum Hann’s ways to use pumpkin
Whilst pumpkins are available all year in your local fruit and veg grocer, they have a fuller colour and flavour in the colder months when they grow best.
The most popular variety for most home cooks is Butternut, partly because it’s readily available and partly because it’s elongated shape and seeds only at one end makes it arguably the easiest pumpkin to prepare.
If this sounds like you, be sure to give other pumpkin varieties a chance the next time you shop.
I’m particularly fond of Kent/Jap pumpkins for their deep, sweet flavour.
The skin can be eaten (and is delicious!) when the pumpkin is roasted sufficiently, meaning less time is spent with a knife in hand.
Here’s some of my favourite uses for pumpkin:
- Cut into big wedges (skin on), drizzle with olive oil and rub with papriks. Roast for 40-45 minutes at 190C until golden brown and tender. Garnish with chopped smoked almonds and feta.
- Cut into a small dice and use in a Thai green curry in place of half the chicken quantity. It’s cheaper, satisfying, and the pumpkin has a knack for soaking up that coconut sauce
- Use a cheese grater to grate half a pumpkin into a large saucepan with a knob of butter, pinch of salt and ¼ cup water. Place a lid on and cook over medium heat, stirring, for 10-12 minutes or until pumpkin has softened. Puree in a blender with a little hot chicken stock for the world’s quickest pumpkin soup
- Use in desserts. For example, the same quantity of pumpkin can be used in place of carrot in a carrot cake recipe.
- Citrus season donations for SA School Children come to the Riverland
- Northern School Students Receive 300kg Orange Donation
- Citrus season launches just in time to fuel the kids for winter sports
- Mother’s Day 2020 – Gift Ideas
- Filsell’s Apples Orchard Visit – Adelaide Hills
- Local Independent Fruit and Veg Retailers Delivering Healthy Options to South Australians
- Adelaide Hills Horticultural Industry Funds Available For Post Fire Recovery
- Pick a Local Pick SA! RAISES $75,000 FOR SA GROWERS
- Romeo’s Boost Adelaide Hills Horticulture Appeal
- Adelaide Hills Berry Farm Visit