Five perfect ways to use pears…
Pick A Local Pick SA brand ambassador – Callum Hann’s Five ways to use pears
The humble pear can be easily overlooked for more fashionable ingredients, but I have to say that they have to be one my favourite and most versatile fruits in the kitchen.
Delicious, crisp and with less acidity than apples, pears lend themselves not only to enjoying on their own and in desserts, but in savoury cooking too.
Different varieties of pear are readily available at different times throughout the year according to their season.
Right now, at your local green grocer you should keep an eye out for varieties such as Duchess Pears from the Adelaide Hills and red Sensation Pears.
Here’s some of my favourite uses for pear:
- Slicing thinly and serving on a cheese board with blue cheese and a drizzle of honey
- Make a pear bircher muesli with oats, milk, yoghurt and maple syrup and allow to refrigerate overnight. A super quick and delicious breakfast will be waiting for you!
- Lay pear wedges onto a sheet of puff pastry with leek cooked with olive oil and thyme. Bake at 180C for 15-20 minutes or until pastry has risen and turned golden. Top with crumbled feta
- Peel pears and poach them in port, orange juice and cinnamon for 20-25 or until tender but not falling apart. Serve with a good quality vanilla ice cream.
- Grate pears into cake mixtures for extra flavour and to ensure the cake stays moist whilst baking. This works best for butter based cakes rather than sponges.
- Christine Scalzi crowned 2023 SA Cherry Queen
- Pick a Local, Pick SA! 2023 Television Commercial
- South Australia Launches 2023 Citrus Season
- South Australia’s Top Ten Fruit and Veg Stores Announced
- Meet Nicol Carrots
- Do you know your chillies?
- Callum’s Favourite Uses For Oranges
- Fruit and Veg Retailers Staying Open And Delivering Healthy Options to South Australians
- Anthony Romeo Crowned 2021 Cherry King as auction raises $50,000 for Camp Quality
- Lowana Fruits